Ask the Vet Rep! September 2013

Dear Vet Rep,

I’m proud to say that my Grandfather is a World War II vet. He served in Europe and was involved in 5 major battles including D-Day and the Battle of the Bulge. He recently discovered that his medals have been stolen from his home. Since he will be turning 90 in September, I wanted to see if I could get him a copy of his military record and replacement medals.

I’m hoping you can point me in the right direction. I will pay whatever the cost and do whatever is required. This means a lot to me, but I have a feeling it would mean a heck of a lot more to him.

He spent most of his life trying to forget the war and refused to speak about it because of the gruesome things he had seen. He was only 1 of 2 guys still with his original company when the war ended.

He changed over the last 20 years, realizing that what he saw and did should be passed on to his family. He has spent a lot of time telling us the horrific things he went through; then to find his reward for that pain had been stolen! I would appreciate any advice and guidance you have to offer.

Thank you!
Fred Gunn Jr.


If you go to the website and search for the form SF180, this is the form needed to get medals, as well as his entire record. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you need help with anything additional or in filling the form out.



  • Kerry Schimelfenig
  • Kerry is an American Legion Department State Service Officer and Disabled Gulf War Navy veteran.

No Comments Yet.

leave a comment