Ask the Vet Rep: February 2014

Dear Vet Rep,

Are veterans eligible to receive a high school diploma if they left school early to fight in Korea?


Dear Mark,

In 2001 Pennsylvania passed legislation called “Operation Recognition,” which grants school districts the authority to provide veterans with diplomas if they left high school early to serve in World War II, Korea, or Vietnam.

To be eligible, the veteran must have been honorably discharged and meet the following criteria:

• Served in the United States military between September 16,1940, and December 31, 1946, or between June 27, 1950, and January 30, 1955, or between February 28, 1961, and May 7, 1975

• Attended high school between 1937 and 1946 during WWII, or between 1947 and 1955 during the Korean Conflict, or between 1958 and 1975 during the Vietnam War

• Would have been a member of a graduation class during 1941 through 1950 for WWII, or from 1951 through 1957 for the Korean Conflict, or from 1961 through 1975 for the Vietnam War, but did not graduate as a result of entry into military service.

• Is a current resident of a district or attended high school in a district or a predecessor of a district. This requirement is optional, based on school district policies

Currently, the Scranton School District is encouraging local veterans who meet these requirements to apply for a diploma. The district would ultimately like to hold a large ceremony to confer diplomas upon veterans who voluntarily sacrificed their education and put themselves in harm’s way to protect our liberties.

Any veterans interested in this program can contact Scranton School District Community Relations Liaison Justin MacGregor at (570) 290–9062.

  • Kerry Schimelfenig
  • Kerry is an American Legion Department State Service Officer and Disabled Gulf War Navy veteran.

No Comments Yet.

leave a comment